talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Why not?

Strongly influenced by their daughter's lack of interest in hair maintenance, the comely kid style of a friend, and the book Packaging Girlhood, our friends Paul and Heather got their daughter Helena's hair cut short yesterday. Helena was, and still is, all for it. Coincidentally, I came home from the stylist this morning with 3-4" less hair than before as well.

By this time, Fiona has decided that she too wants short hair. "Really short," she said decidedly, "like Helena's."

Now, I try to be an open-minded mother. I am downright thrilled that my daughter does not connect her locks with her sense of self. I have already daydreamed about the improved maintenance issues a pixie cut would bring. And I am fully aware that hair grows. But I must confess that I am a mite concerned about how she'll feel about the final product. Because until you get your hair cut extremely short for the first time you Just. Can't. Know. Of course, Fiona is ready to go to the salon the moment Nora wakes up from her nap. Immediacy is in her bloodline as well as her developmental stage, so I of all people can't really fault her for it.

I called Ian at work about it, because it didn't feel right to make this parenting decision on my own. We've decided to wait until this coming Wednesday, when haircuts are half price again-- a mere $3!-- at the local beauty college. That gives Fiona a chance to be sure. Because if she's sure, we're sure too.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Sucero Family said...

Yes, why not? It would be spectacular!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home