talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Friday, June 22, 2007

What did she say?

Yesterday morning while I hurried to take a shower as two young children played peekaboo with me around the shower curtain, Nora stood on a bath towel she had pulled off the wall with the all the Hurculean strength a toddler could muster. While standing atop her perch she animatedly crowed, "Sonna! Sonna!"

Fiona and I puzzled over this for quite some time. Could she be having Christmas in June? What in the world is "sonna"? We asked as many questions as we could think of, but all Nora wanted to tell us was "SONNA!"

This morning it all became clearer, though. I don't know exactly when the musical beds began, but when I heard Nora crying around 5:00 this morning, my eyes opened to discover the sweetly sleeping face of Fiona wedged tightly between Ian and myself. My own bed already at full capacity, I got into Fiona's to lie back down with Nora to nurse.

But Nora was awake enough to see that this was NOT the normal pattern. She patted Fiona's bed. "Sonna," she said. "Sonna 'eeping."

Aha! "Ohna" has become "Sonna". Nora is experimenting with some initial consonants. This is exciting, even at 5:00 a.m.!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home