talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Introducing our two newest members of the family...






Our family went for a trip late today to a local animal welfare agency to pick up our two kittens, "Muffin" and "Sweetie". Ian came home a little early from work because I was still feeling rather puny from the Wisdom Tooth Thing at lunchtime, but by the time I actually ate something, took a shower, and got a little rest, I was feeling downright chipper on the way to the agency. That is, until halfway there when my jaw began to throb and I realized that I missed my completely routinized medicine dose.

Of course, the agency was running dolefully behind schedule. That being said, once they realized I was in a bad way they were quite accommodating, and in short order we found ourselves riding home with two of the happiest feline travelers we could have ever rescued.

On the way home Fiona asked, "What are they called?" Ian explained the difference between their shelter names and their actual names, which we would decide as a family. Around that time, Nora requested one of her favorite books, Gossie and Gertie. Ian tried to signal me covertly, and I finally made out that he was whispering "Gossie and Gertie" and pointing at the two cats. Following the picture book character theme, I suggested Zelda and Ivy, one of our beloved "sister" book series by Laura Kvasnosky.

We all considered other storybook pairs over dinner-- George and Martha; Frog and Toad; Pooh and Piglet; Trixie and Knuffle Bunny-- but nothing had the same ring as our two favorite fox sibs. Besides, our tabby's personality is clearly Zelda-like. Just watch for videos. You'll see. And the blue-gray one is definitely laid-back yet loving like Ivy.

According to our friend Janis, cats will tell you their names if you ask them, and neither Zelda nor Ivy did anything but purr in response when we queried them, so we're pretty sure we got it right. We put the zippy red collar on Zelda and the bright green collar on Ivy (green for Ivy, get it?) and that was that. Zelda is undoubtedly busy "doozying up" Ivy's tail right now-- you can see her trying to snag it in one of the pictures above as well.

7 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

Welcome home, Zelda and Ivy! Looking forward to meeting you.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger library chicken said...

I am so excited! I can feel the Z/I love.

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you said you aren't a cat person, Ian...but I think Ivy and Zelda have a different idea. Looks like a cat family to me! Congrats on the new additions...bet you'll all have a lot of fun.
love,Gran

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Yay, yay! I can't wait to meet them, too!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

that little gray one wants a cheezburger...

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jen said...

She can has it!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Hold on now! I never said I wasn't a cat person! I'm very much a cat person. Living on the farm in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades turned me into a sort of cat whisperer, in fact. I think that my long habit of taking a long time to fall asleep (which ended something like ... how old is Fiona? A little over 5 years ago) can be traced back to cats visiting me in bed.

Being a cat person doesn't necessarily mean you want a pet. Pets. But I have bowed to the inevitable. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home