talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, April 07, 2008

The Great New Experiment

Fiona has a full-size bed. Both girls have been eagerly awaiting the moment that Nora gets to sleep in the big-girl bed with Fiona. We're not really punishment/reward type of parents, but we have been telling the girls for quite awhile that we figured when Nora began keeping panties dry at night regularly it would be a good time to start talking about sharing a bed. From a practical standpoint, it just seemed like, well, the driest idea we could invent. And believe me, Nora is nowhere near panties yet.

"Never say never" comes to mind, though, because lately a number of factors have been leading Ian and me to think twice about this arbitrary benchmark. Not only has Nora been climbing into Fiona's bed and attempting to put herself to bed for months now, Fiona is also almost completely welcoming of the change. She is a little concerned about how the noise factor will affect her, since Nora is somewhat vocal about her needs and has all the immediacy of a two-year old. However, Fiona considers Nora to be her best friend, and looks forward to sharing the bed with her. They have shared a room-- this very room where Nora was born-- all along. We hope a bedmate might lessen some of Fiona's nighttime anxieties as well. And when I think about the fact that I myself wouldn't want to sleep any other way, it seemed like time to try The Great New Experiment.

During our recent eleven-day visit with Grandma and Toot Toot, Nora stopped sleeping in their crib and switched to a toddler bed; and tonight she spent her first ten minutes in bed with her sister. It was so hopelessly exciting that, at least for tonight, it clearly wasn't going to work. But it took around three days of adjustment at Grandma and Toot Toot's too, so only time and continued interest will tell.

As pleased as I am to see the girls working on this happy milestone together though, I can't help feeling a little misty about it, too. Once Ian and I pack it up, that crib won't see the light of day again until someone we know needs to borrow it or our own daughters bring a grandbaby over to nap in it. At the very least I should say that is the plan, as far as those can take you.

Considering I didn't even really want to use that space hog, I can't believe I feel this attached to the crib. It's just a piece of reasonably-priced furniture, after all. Nonetheless, I can't help but feel a mite relieved as I check on Nora sleeping sweetly in it tonight.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds Fun!
Sydney

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not ready to give up the crib? How do you think poor Granny is feeling?? Where's my baby? 8^( Oh well, I spose she's somewhere inside that big two-year-old...8^) --Gran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home