talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Her waist hurts

Nora has been saying "my waist hurts" for weeks now. The longer this goes on, and the less diapers she produces, it becomes clearer that what she really means is "my waste hurts". I asked her pediatrician about it when I took her in for that weird rash the other day, and the two of them had a discussion about using the potty. The pediatrician, whom we adore, told Nora that sometimes kids feel a little bit scared about using the potty, and that it's okay but that it's fine and fun to use the potty just like the other big people she loves. The upshot for Nora seemed to be, "I'm a lil bit scared to use the potty" though. I heard that for a week.

Now, instead of a daily diaper, we're getting a weekly one, with her waist hurting all the time. Over the holiday weekend Ian and I were up with her in the wee hours in the morning for hours trying to figure out whether acute pains in her side with no other symptoms could be the same old thing or appendicitis, and whether a call to the pediatrician or visit to the ER was really necessary without even a fever to accompany it. Egads.

Well, one trip to the pediatrician and one to the radiologist later, and we have some news. Nora does NOT have an impaction, which was the concern. She DOES have some experience with severe constipation, wicked painful gas, Xrays, enemas, and laxatives. Poor kid. Fiber anyone?

3 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Dianna Burt said...

Oh, no, poor Nora and all. My niece, Olivia has had some severe problems with this in the past. My sister has her on a stool softener every other day to help keep her a'flowing. And she tries to keep her on the ole fiber too. Ugh! It's not good at all for anyone if she's not poopin', let me tell you. I feel for you.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger library chicken said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Not going is no fun.

When I first started on my prenatal vitamins, I thought I was going to die. I was also scared to use the potty - it didn't happen very often and it didn't feel very good when it did. I went to a GI doctor who took me off stool softeners (which weren't helping all that much) and put me on Miralax. I tell you what - Miralax is my best friend! You can put it in any beverage (there is *no* taste after it's dissolved), doc said you can't take too much of it, and I can even use it preggo!

I hope that's not TMI, but I swear, this stuff saved my life.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Jen said...

We're using Miralax now too! So glad to know you really can't taste it. A half cap looks like a lot of powder to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home