talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Conversation at breakfast


Nora and I were eating breakfast. Jen and Fiona had gotten up early and gone out to get some supplies.

Nora: Can you say the word of this?

Me: Of what?

Nora (pointing at her oatmeal): This.

Me: Oatmeal?

Nora: Yes. I can't say that word.

Me: Why not?

Nora: I'm not old enough.

Me: Aren't you two years old?

Nora: Yes ...

Me: Then you're old enough to say it. It's really made up of two words - oat, because it's made of oats, and meal, because it's ground into meal. Well, sort of. Maybe not all the way.

Nora (taking off her bib): I'm not finished.

Me: You're coming back?

Nora: Yes. I'm going to go try that word. By myself. Without my bib.

Me: Okay.

(Nora gets down from her chair and goes into the living room.)

Nora (whispering): Oat. Meal. OAT. MEAL. I'm going to do it myself. Oat. Meal.
(Nora comes back.)

Me: How did that go in the living room?

Nora: Good.

4 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Ian said...

The funny thing about this is that I have never heard Nora pause for even a moment when trying a new word. She usually just charges right ahead. I'm not sure what the difference was with 'oatmeal', and I'm actually not completely sure that she's never said that word before.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fabulous!!! She's already learning what a compound word is. Interesting how she took off the bib to say the older-kid word. She'll be reading soon...

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Ian said...

After further consultation with Nora, she has let me know that when she said "I'm going to do it myself", that was to Ivy (the cat).

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh my....I just love it! 8^) Gran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home