talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fiona's surprise

After hearing some piano this morning, I was ready for a story. I mean, I wanted to hear one from Fiona. I asked her to select an early reader she hadn't read yet from the bookshelf when she made a happy leap into the air and said, "No! I have one of my own books upstairs I want to read to you. I was reading it to myself in the closet this morning when I got up. Wait a minute. I'll get it for you!"

She spun and raced up the stairs. I scarcely had time to ponder, 'I was reading it to myself in the closet this morning,' before she was back with her beloved treasury The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh. We've been reading it to her since she was very, very small. She knows how it goes; but she doesn't have it memorized, so I was pleasantly surprised to see her working through it this morning. It was really uplifting for all of us. I found it especially heartwarming to hear my own child use voices for characters just as Ian and I have been doing for years.


4 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow!...yes you told me, but whew! it is too amazing to hear it! Oh, Fiona, now there's no stopping you, girl.
love, Gran

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Tricia W said...

Love, love, LOVE IT!
Thanks for sharing the video of your fun "reading" moment.
Always a pleasure!

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jen said...

There are definitely some words in there that she can glide right through because she's heard that story so many times before; but it's still cool that she realized she could probably read that book she loves, so she picked it up and did it. I'm not sure I really knew how moving it would be to have my child reading to me. I just wasn't prepared for the sheer magnitude of joy.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She does the voices beautifully! That indicates she understands what she's reading. That counts for everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home