talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

An historic day



Ian and I are, basically, library people. We met each other while working at the same public library; and when our colleagues there learned we were marrying, they suggested that our old bookmobile take us away from the ceremony. Of course Ian and I knew all too well that old thing was held together with bubblegum. We wouldn't have wanted to start our new lives together by rolling under it for repairs on the way to the reception!

At any rate, right before Fiona was born, some folks at our library worked themselves into a tizzy trying to figure out the 'best' time for our new baby to get a library card. On the way home from the hospital, perhaps? Or maybe even someone from Outreach Services should visit me at the hospital and create a card right away?

In the end, we all had a good laugh but we didn't follow any of those plans. We decided to wait until Fiona was old enough to understand the wonderful privilege of having a library card, and to sign up for it herself. Today, riding on the high of just winning tickets to the Philharmonic Kids Concert next week, we decided now was a good time. She's devouring Junie B. Jones and similar books as fast as we can bring them home, and she's been ready to sign for her card for a good while now.

Fiona doesn't mind me sharing her first book. It does, somewhat predictably,involve a feline. Right this very minute she is reading Alan Ahlberg's The Cat Who Got Carried Away to Nora, and they're both loving every minute of it. Congratulations, Fiona.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Fiona! I still remember the day I got mine. I was about your age. Back then there was a little strip where you had to sign your name on the card. It was very difficult to write my name out in that tiny space but I managed.

I still think my library card is one of the most valuable things I've ever owned. If I added up the value of all the books, music and videos I've borrowed over the years, it would be a fortune! I would have never been able to buy all those wonderful books. But with my library card, I can have pretty much any book I want (even if only for a few weeks). :)

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Sr. Dorothy, OSB said...

You're definitely a granddaughter of mine, Fiona! I don't recall ever NOT having a library card, although I'm pretty sure there was such a time. I know that as of 4th grade, I stopped by the library on my walk home from school almost every day...inhaling a book overnight and then returning it...only to check out another. I'm not quite that fast these days; for one thing the books are longer! Mmmmm, books. love, Gran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home