talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

An innocent mistake

I haven't been cooking right ever since I got those darn wisdom teeth out almost a week ago, and for the past day or so our meals have gone something like, "Well, we could have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with milk, except we don't have bread. Or milk." We TOTALLY needed to go to the store.

But a dental checkup filled my morning opportunity, and our good friend Sara stopped by for an absolutely LOVELY serendipitous visit this afternoon. Therefore we ended up going after "dinner" tonight.

Part of me knew this was a mistake, but I didn't want to wait another day only to try to have cereal, toast, yogurt, milk, bananas, or some other breakfast food that was completely gone. We piled into the car for a huge grocery marathon.

It was just past bedtime when we returned. The only thing I really wanted to do while the girls changed into their jammies was to put cold foods away properly. I thought things were going at least as well as could be expected when Nora presented herself to me, with poor, poor Zelda's little skull in her chubby hands and a tabby body dangling alarmingly, announcing proudly, "I holding!"

Oh. My. Gosh. Every single nerve ending shot into overdrive or something. After rescuing the kitten, I wondered aloud how many times one has to explain and show proper kitten procedures to a toddler before they really sink in.

I feel horrible for that poor little cat! Fortunately, Zelda seems none the worse for it physically or mentally. I only wish I could say the same for myself. Oh. My. Gosh.

5 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Sucero Family said...

That is very funny, sorry kitty. Kittens, like children, are obviously resilient, huh?
Paul

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Just keep in mind that Zelda's mom probably dragged her around by the scruff of her neck, and your fear for her well being should abate. (We don't pick her up that way, but Basil really likes being grabbed at the scruff of her neck -- it totally makes her zone out and relax.)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Conrad R. said...

Yeah, what Lynn said. As long as the cat is still walking around, she's probably fine. If a cat really doesn't like what's going on, there will be a more, umm, "hiss-ceral" reaction... sorry 'bout that...

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian mny recall that Bob Whitelaw stayed with us a while our first fall on the farm. Bob bought a Newfoundland (named Toby, after the ale). At about 3 months old, Toby was already large. I saw something sticking out of his mouth one afternoon outside and made him open his mouth. A very tiny kitten was sitting peacefully on Toby's tongue with one paw sticking out. Toby normally had his mouth open, so the kitten coud see where they were going. So yes, they are resilient and often quite patient.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Your blog has been a topic of conversation with the Library Club crew. Cari asked me if I'd seen your entry about the torture of kittens. I hadn't so I came to visit. Dave and I are always AMAZED how long it can take a piece of information to sink into a child's mind. Cari's cat is very people friendly and has been around lots of toddlers...she might have an answer as to how long it takes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home