talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Am I in the Twilight Zone?!

Good friends are coming over for dinner this evening. Nora, keenly aware of this, has needed an hour and twenty minutes of gentling into her after-lunch nap.

Feeling both fried and frazzled because my cleaning and dinner prep is now off-schedule by at least an hour, I came down to the kitchen. "Fiona," I said, "I have an offer for you. We won't want to get too zany up there, but would you like to have a nice warm soak and play with bath toys while I clean the bathroom upstairs?"

She thought about this prospect for a moment, then said, "Actually, no." (Here's where it gets weird...) "I think I'd prefer to take a little nap."

I thought once kids stopped taking naps they didn't come to appreciate their inherent goodness until they hit college. If she hadn't already gone to tuck herself into a bed, I'd still be wondering whether I dreamed the whole thing up.

Update: I had just finished jotting this post when Fiona came trotting down the stairs after her "nap". Since my room was open for use again, we went upstairs and sorted some laundry together. On my way in, I noticed the doorknob hanger that was part of a "Kitty Crazy" writing kit Nora had given Fiona for Christmas-- I had just read it to her this morning. The side that was faced out had a fluffy kitten on it along with the words, "Do not disturb-- taking a cat nap". Light bulb!

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Ian said...

first day post-sickness ... not unheard of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home