talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Sticking up for Fiona

Today Fiona went to her first real book discussion group. The library program, designed expressly for homeschoolers, contained activities revolving around Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad are Friends . I took my seat along the wall with a somewhat perplexing mix of pride and heartache as I watched Fiona and the other youngsters chat about what makes a good friend and what makes a good book.

Nora had no such bittersweet emotions, however. In order to plow through her nap altogether, she needed to stay in constant motion, so that was apparently her plan. As she capered around the room, she began to perform for the audience she was slowly garnering. Eyes widened, she exclaimed, "Wook at my eyes! De're BIIIIIIIIIG!" as her body quivered with the enormity of her big brown beauties. One mother, after receiving a hug and a kiss on both cheeks from Nora, eyed our daughter up and down, turned to me and said, "I have room for her in my bag here..."

It's like this everywhere we go. Nora is just... our inimitable Nora; and people tend to eat her with a spoon, just as they do most babies and toddlers. Fiona has come to expect it, though I can't say she's really used to it yet. She enjoyed three and a half years of undivided attention. Will this ever feel like the 'new normal'?

Once we were finished at the library today, we dropped by the fabric store. I wanted to get a couple balls of yarn so I could try to knit some leg warmers for my two little dancers, and Fiona also enjoys looking at yarn now that she is finger knitting. The woman who was helping us fell prey to Nora's dimples and said, "Oh, she's so cute!" Neither Fiona nor I asked who she was talking about. We knew. But Fiona, bless her, went one better. She helpfully added, "I'm cute too!" Taken aback, the associate abashedly agreed.

As I gulped the lump out of my throat, I wondered whether our hearts get harder or softer with parenthood. I am constantly amazed by the things I worry about now. As our kids grow, our rulebooks morph and change and become out-of-date. We start over every day. Parenthood is such a thrilling, painful, glowing, exuberant, humbling ride-- all I really feel sure of at the end of the day is how much I don't know, and how much I adore it.

6 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

My friend Roni (who is the older child) remembers how her mom would always say after such comments about Roni's younger sister, "Yes, I have two beautiful daughters."

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

It never ceases to amaze me how clueless people can be. Both of my nieces are beautiful, but often when they were growing up, stupid people would ask, in front of both of them, "What's the pretty one's name?"

SHEESH.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jessie V. said...

Both Fiona and Nora are very cute and they just get cuter the more you know them and realize that they're as beautiful on the inside as on the outside =)

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling Fiona,not only are you cute, you were cute first! love from Granny who was there and knows for sure...

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Nora is adorable, but I've always been a Fiona Fan! She's a beautiful little girl, but more importantly, she's so very intelligent. I am proud to know her darling self.

Hooray for Fiona! Smart Chicks of the world, unite!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

knitting legwarmers, eh? Glad I could inspire.
Please share your results!
-Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home