talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Roller skating



Fiona has expressed interest in roller skating, so we decided to try it out this afternoon.  We had a blast!  It had been years since the last time Jen or I had roller skated ... I think going on 30 for me.  And getting my roller skating legs back was challenging.  I did manage to skate around a couple of times without falling down.  Jen put on skates but then when I reported that it was trickier than I remembered, she took them back off and concentrated on getting Nora and Fiona going.  

At first, I couldn't externalize the skating as instructions - it was that daunting.  But as I remembered more, I was able to communicate how to do it to Fiona.  She wanted to do it holding on to me with both hands, but I said no, the other hand went out that way to balance; she tended to let me pull her, but I caught on to that and stopped letting her, encouraging her to push herself with her feet.  By the end, Fiona was holding on to me only very lightly, and at one point her grip relaxed enough for me to just let go.  After her initial surpise, she gamely went it alone, and did pretty well.  Nora also skated all the way around with Jen helping.  We're all looking forward to doing it again.


2 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is wonderful! Rollerskating is so much fun...and I didn't even learn til I was, oh, 16 or 17. Spent one summer doing it all the time, then... never again! But I encourage you all to go for it! Great family activity... love, Gran

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Growing up, my friends and I had skating parties at least once a month. I was never very good at it, but always liked going around in the circle of the rink, left foot rolling with my right foot doing all the work.

You all are so much fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home