talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Don't count on Mom for the sympathy vote



A couple days ago, I asked Fiona to take some surplus groceries to the basement pantry shelf. It's cold down there, so I usually recommend the kids put on slippers. Why do they like to go barefoot year-round otherwise, even when their feet are like ice?

She put on the slippers and began yelping with pain. "When I step down in my slippers, it really hurts!" If you could see her slippers, you might understand a little bit of my skepticism. It's hard to see any of her foot because of all the downy pink luxuriance.

I told her she was simply going to have to find a way to get down the stairs in her softy pink slippers with a load or two of jars. She did it, but she looked so genuinely pained when she was finished that I went out to the living room to look at her foot.

Sure enough, she had a pencil eraser-sized puncture wound in the arch of her foot, with a tender halo of pink around it and a bruise just beginning around the perimeter. I gasped in surprise. As it turns out, she had stepped on a horse's tiara the day before. Why I never heard about that is beyond me, considering I'm never further away than the washing machine.

No sooner than I began monitoring it with real concern, it began to disappear. I hung the offending tiara on her toe for the proof shots today. Fiona is tougher than I thought!

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

A horse's tiara?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You know those Little Ponies-- always with the accessories! Nora received one for her birthday which is large enough to brush and style the hair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home