talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Laundry list



We're experimenting with checklists at our house. It's not that I'm looking for a bunch of sticker charts to keep up with-- far from it. However, now that Fiona has the reading bug it's difficult to get past the bed and PJs stage. Even with today's checklist, which she requested, I twice within seven minutes found her standing, wholly engrossed, reading her magazine. But it's a fun experiment. Let me reiterate: reading is good. Having the skills to be ready for the day within a reasonable amount of time is also good.

She just marks off the stuff she needs to do once she's done it, and she's trying to get finished by the time we begin school in the morning. It's a kind of race, and a kind of muscle-memory-making deal. The hope is that she can create a sensible routine that just feels, well, routine. Once we get it about the way we like it, the plan is to laminate it so it can be used over and over. I'm trying to decide whether perhaps she could do some of these things before dinner instead of all clumped up in the morning. It's a work in progress, and it should be interesting to see what becomes of it in the end.

Once Nora saw Fiona walking around the house with a clipboard and a checklist, she of course had to have one as well. She really loves it. That seems so weird to me, but I'm glad they're happy.

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Great idea, Jen! Sounds like a great work-in-progress, since that's basically what life is, eh? :)

We'll have to borrow this idea. For some reason, thinking about how slowly Robert and I take our mornings made me think of Theodore Roethke's "The Waking." It's National Poetry Month, so I'll paste it below:

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.
We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me, so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Wow, that's awesome, T, and a perfect complement to our work-in-progress.

Life often makes me sing certain stanzas from songs. Reading this makes me wish that life brought lovely pieces of poetry to my mind. If I want that, though, I should read more poetry!

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking...that poem by Roethke would make a great song. And I think your checklist is a creative way to handle mornings! love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home