talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Movement and music

Fiona and Nora started dance at a new place this week. I LOVE THIS PLACE! Besides the deep respect I have for the teachers and their philosophy, I also love the fact that our kids are taking movement and modern dance now, along with some of the rudimentary ballet techniques. As kids moved to the teacher's drumbeat, they played games to learn each others names-- even for this short summer course.

As I watched Fiona settle into her body's own fluidity during her class, I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace and rightness. Then I watched her gracefully leap over some dots on the floor. Her lithe, willowy body seemed to be in its element. I don't recognize that body at all from my own childhood; but what's really important, I guess, is that Fiona is comfortable in it.

Our Experimental Child Fiona is, among other things, a dancer. There is a world of possibility open to her. And THAT is very beautiful.

2 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Andy said...

Well, we're glad to have her — Liz told me she's a great student. We're so glad your family comes! See you tomorrow.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Jen -

Your writing makes me smile. And your delight in your children is so very clear and lovely!

You are a good mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home