talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Best friends

Today our friend Helena had a birthday party at the park across the street, and the girls and I simply walked over without the stroller. I knew, of course, that Nora would have nothing to do with her sun hat. What surprised me is that she wanted nothing to do with holding my hand, either. Ordinarily she is glued to me with all the clammy ardor of toddlerhood, but not this time. Today was all about Fiona.

"Ohna" offered Nora a hand, and off we toddled to the party. If I'd read something like this in a Hallmark card I know I would have gagged, but something about watching my own two daughters amble down the lane in the springtime sun filled me with the most intoxicating, visceral feeling of maternal love.

This past sixteen months hasn't been without its speed bumps for Big Sister Fiona. She has had, and continues to have, a number of things to adapt to in her daily life. Thankfully, she has a colorful cast of close friends and family-- big and small, near and far-- who support her wholeheartedly.

Ask Fiona who her best friend is sometime. For the past sixteen months, her answer has been exactly the same. We don't know how long this trend can last, but we support it in every way we know how.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home