talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Reading our cares away

Fiona worries. Not nearly as much as she used to when she went to daycare and Ian and I both worked full-time, but she still frets. It wakes her up at night from time to time, and makes slumber initially elusive sometimes as well.

So when I saw a new, well-reviewed picture book written especially for worriers, I checked it out. I adore Keven Henkes as much as anybody, but Wemberley Worried can only take one so far, you know. Fiona enjoyed Silly Billy tonight-- enough to want some Guatemalan worry dolls for herself. Immediately. I told her that I used to have some worry dolls, and that in fact I might still have one or two tucked away in the basement. I told her we could look for them together tomorrow.

Something in the squint of her eye and the set of her jaw told me that she might not be content to wait that long. A storm began to brew inside her, but as quickly as it began, it blew over and we moved on to the next step of our nighttime routine. I gently tucked her in, and she fell asleep almost immediately.

Now I just have to find those worry dolls, but fast. I wonder where they are? What if I don't actually know what happened to them? Can I dredge up any worry dolls locally?

I sure don't know where Fiona comes by this worrying thing...

3 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sucero Family said...

I know where you might find some locally. And I might even have a set here somewhere...
Have you read her Felix and the Worrier? One of our favorite worry stories. HA

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell that you're pretty worried about it. I once had some worry beads made from the very olive tree that Socrates taught under, but alas, they're long gone. My friends Michael and Carol brought them back from their travels in Europe when we lived on the farm in Ontario.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Our worries are over! Our friend MV gave us a set of worry dolls to tide us over until we find some, and it sounds like HA may even a lead for local purchase-- hooray! Thanks, MV!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home