talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Making a mermaid

Fiona decided that this year she wanted to be a mermaid for Halloween, and from the looks of things it has become a large group project. Fiona, Nora and I went to the fabric store together to select fabrics and notions, and then our entire family drove to Grandma and Toot Toot's house so I could help Grandma sew it.

As it turned out, however, I was too sick from wisdom tooth extractions to do anything but help myself to and from the bathroom, so Saint Grandma took over. The costume, which was a bit of a bugger, looks fabulous! Now I just need to finish hand-sewing the bling.

While at the fabric store originally, I picked up two skeins of cheap eyelash yarn, thinking a seaweed scarf might be just the thing. I asked my friend Lynn about a refresher knitting lesson, and she said that I probably didn't want a refresher lesson in cranky $1 eyelash yarn, so she'd be happy to crank it out for Fiona and give me lessons later on more pleasant yarn with less of a deadline crunch.

Am I glad I took her up on it or what?! Take a look at the "potato chip" scarf she created-- a real thing of beauty! Any mermaid worth her saltwater would be pleased as prawns to have this thing around her arms. Lynn's husband aptly suggested more "dangly stuff" from the edges of the scarf, making it even sea-weedier-- yesss!

Also oceans of thanks to Edith who sat next to me as I cussed the trim last week and gave me helpful tips on how to make it look much, much better. Now I really MUST get going on MY part of this project!

It's not even complete, but Fiona wears this costume every day. It is, originally, a Halloween costume, but it is safe to say that it will be the springboard for a sea of pretend play for a long, long time. We thank you fine ladies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home