talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Au contraire

Neither Ian nor I believe in "terrible twos". We don't necessarily call them the "terrific twos," but we do, in general, think age two gets a bad rap. This is not to say we've had a good week, though. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I noticed that we haven't been blogging like we usually do, and stopped to try to figure out why not. And while I'm still not completely sure, I do think things have slowed down considerably because somebody is feeling a mite, well, contrary. About just about anything you'd like to mention. Some gems of the week have included:

  • "No, I don't love you, Dad!"
  • "KISS! NO KISS!"
  • "I don't like Cebolla's!" (demonstrably untrue within twenty minutes of declaration)

Now we know that this is just a phase, that it's a healthy part of becoming independent. It will pass. But when it's cold, one still needs a coat, you know? And leaving extra time to sort out those kinds of details, for just about everything we do, cuts down drastically on what actually gets done.

So in the next week or two as you get out of your car, sit down for a meal, leave your house, or do any other common task without hearing raucous screaming, take a deep breath and enjoy it. Then think of us and wish us well, please.

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call it -- creative self-expression. Really it is nothing more than a simple testing of boundaries. It will come in many forms over the years. Oh, I can't wait to experience them all!

I always thought three was worse than two anyway.

J

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who said “A two-year old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it.”

I'll be thinking of you.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!
We can't wait to see you all, contrary or no...
HA

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger rbell said...

We've been getting that from Susan for a while now, but it seems to have turned worse lately. I seriously think it's because we haven't seen the sun in what feels like a month. I don't know what the weather's like where you're at, but it's been nothing but gray and cloudy here. The last time the sun was out I had so much energy. That was weeks ago. I just went and bought some sunlight bulbs today.

Anyway...I know this is off topic, but wanted to offer up a different point of view for crankiness.

Rhonda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home