talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Reverse psychology

Fiona and Nora got me a Rubik's Cube for Christmas. They knew that I was learning to solve it from a teen at work. Now, they've gotten a couple keychain versions of their own, as some kind of prize at the Seuss Day at the Botanical Conservatory. They were very excited when they saw that these mini cubes were one of the choices. They're a little stiff, but are getting better with use.

Earlier today I solved Fiona's for her after she mixed it up. Then, about half an hour ago, she announced her intent to mix both of them up for the cats. I'm not sure what the attraction of a randomized cube is to cats, but obviously I don't know everything.

Just now, Fiona came to me and said "Daddy, can you solve this cube please?" I was busy with something else, so I said "Not right now." She looked at me slyly and said "I bet you can't solve it." I said that I could, later. She said "I bet you can't. Look how mixed up it is! You can't solve it." Yes, she has discovered the "Bet you can't" strategy. But it didn't work on me.

"I'll START it now, but I really don't have time to finish it," I said, claiming my Pyrrhic victory.

"No - that's okay. I really want it to be mixed up for the cats," she said, and darted off.

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Jessie V. said...

Nice, way to go Fiona =)

If Fiona and Nora's cubes are too stiff you can rotate them so the layers are at about 45 degrees and then seperate the layers and spray a tiny amount (since keychain versions are so small) of WD 40 into the center and then rotate the cube the work the WD 40 around the center ball.

~jessie
A Fellow Rubik's Nerd =)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jen said...

... and, I mean really Ian... it was VERY mixed up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home