talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

God loves appetizers too

Fiona went next door to absorb some Montessori math with Dever this morning, and Nathaniel was playing here with Nora and me. We did some of our usual stuff-- reading, chasing, walking in the park, dancing, bubble blowing, listening to music, playing with toys, peekaboo. It wasn't quite time to begin preparing lunch yet, but I was getting classic hunger pre-meltdown signals from Nora, so I put on some water to boil for some Annie's Shells & Cheese, tossed some carrot sticks into a bowl, and began rinsing some strawberries and cutting up banana chunks.

Upon seeing this, both children began clambering up into seats at the table. Nothing I was preparing was quite cut and ready for them, so I handed each of them a honey wheat pretzel to tide them over. I asked Nora which meal prayer she preferred to say, since Fiona wasn't there to beat her to the punch.

Nora, whose mouth was already wrapped around her pretzel, was stunned. She stopped mid-crunch and stared at me. I thought she was shocked to be asked about her preference for grace. I said, "You like to sing the Johnny Appleseed prayer, don't you? Would you like that one?"

Apparently, however, that wasn't her issue. She processed for another moment or so while I stirred the macaroni in the boiling water and poured milk. Gesturing with the pretzel, she inquired thoughtfully, "Why do we pway for dese, Mom? Dey're not hot..."

Wow, when my child comes in to awaken me in the morning I simply cannot possibly fathom the curve balls either one of them might throw during the course of any given day! It was a pleasure to describe all the things we are thankful for-- not just warm lunches (although those are quite nice).

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Winnie said...

There's a Dutch saying, "We only have to pray if there's potatoes."

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! Saw you guys at church yesterday! Nora looked like she was just WAITING to see what would happen next. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home