talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Grouching

I had been away on retreat all weekend, and there wasn't much sleep to be had at the retreat, or before it if truth be told. Today was wonderful in that I was back with the girls, and long because we were all so tired and kind of grouchy.

We were running an errand before Fiona and Nora went to soccer with Ian when the girls broke out into some uncharacteristically grouchy issues about not caring to share a plastic dinosaur. It may have been the sleep deprivation, but I was stunned.

"Whoa there," I cautioned, "That's not very loving talk back there. Holy cow! Your Dad and I don't use language like that, do we?" I was trying to figure out the model for that agitated, non-sharing sound.

Nora knew the answer, and she answered me reproachfully. "Yes, you speak this language. And sometimes it is not very nice."

3 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O those babes, and what comes forth outta their mouths! Ain't parenthood grand? 8^) Gran

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger JCB said...

My parents tell a story of when Nancy was 2 and I was 5.5 and we were irritating each other in the backseat. Nancy stood up (wearing a seatbelt harness--it was the late 60s) and declared, "goddammit, Janis!" I believe my parents took another look at their, er, language usage after that...

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Ian said...

I hope Granny sees your post, jcb, because she has an identical story about my brother and me - probably age 4 (me) and 2. Apparently my "goddammit, Aaron" had exactly her intonation, so there was no doubt where I got it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home