talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Fiber arts festival fun

I tried SO HARD to get this post written on Friday so I wouldn't have to say "yesterday". Missed it by eight minutes. Oh well!

YESTERDAY we took in the annual Fiber Arts Festival at our local historic farm/park with our amazing friend Sara. There couldn't have been a nicer day to enjoy goats, sheep, alpacas, or even the fuzzy brown bats that snoozed in the top of the barn. While Fiona tried her hand at both quilting and basket weaving, Sara and Nora perused booths for knitting, crocheting, dyeing, felting, carding, weaving, spinning, rug hooking, storytelling, and much more. What an amazing afternoon!

While I was volunteering at this farm location on Thursday morning, the Community Center had dropped off five huge looms they wanted to donate. Unfortunately, the farm didn't have room to store them, so the plan was to sell them. Oh, how I wanted a loom! Not that I could really afford to pay for one, though. So while the volunteer coordinator offered to sell them dirt cheap, I told him to try to make some good money on them at the festival; and barring that I'd take one off his hands for $25 at the end of the weekend.

Sadly for us, others saw the value in these wonderful treasures, and they were all sold by the time we got to the event. But the woman at the basket weaving booth was amazed by Fiona's facility and comfort with weaving at her age. It's not that she didn't make mistakes, but she noticed them immediately on her own and could even begin to work backwards and try to fix her work. I was surprised by her relative dexterity and conscientiousness in a medium she'd never tried before. It really made me wish I'd been successful in securing a loom. One of those looms would've been a homeschooler's dream-- did I just say that?

2 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good times! My pics are Flickred, baby! I hope you guys are having fun with Granny.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Sucero Family said...

I think that we can build a small loom. I think we can, I think we can. I had a small loom as a child that I could make little rugs on. We can do it! We can do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home