talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Midnight snack?

This evening while Jen was at her book group, I was working downstairs after the girls had gone to sleep. The monitor was on, as usual, so that I could hear any inkling of someone starting to wake up - often I can intercept that process and get Nora back to sleep before she wakes up fully, which, left to her own devices, she does quite often, and she follows it up with sitting up or standing up in her crib, no matter what time of night.

So I was listening for any little peep. What I got instead was her full-throated roar that she sounds when she wants more of what she's eating and you haven't given it to her yet, or possibly when she just wants that fudgesicle you're eating. "Aaaah! Aaaa-aaahhh!" I dropped what I was doing, grabbed her sippy cup full of water hoping that was what she meant, and dashed up the stairs, thinking "Was I concentrating too hard on what I was doing? Did I miss any wake-up signals? What if she's actually hungry in the middle of the night? She ate a big dinner! ... didn't she?"

When I got to her crib, I whispered softly "What is it sweetheart? Do you need a drink?" Then I realized why I hadn't heard any early cues: Nora was fast asleep, probably dreaming that Fiona had a fudgesicle and wouldn't share.

P.S.: Fiona really was sharing for the photo shoot the next day, but not fast enough for Nora in this particular shot. Aaaaaahh!

2 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Sr. Dorothy, OSB said...

Oh, my.........we think we're ready for anything...but they can outmaneuver us without even trying!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Sucero Family said...

That's an hilarious story, Ian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home