talk about it more

a virtual baby book

When she was two, Fiona regularly said "Talk about it more!" to express her desire to know more about whatever we were discussing.

Monday, June 04, 2007

It may not be summer yet, but it's time for the SRP

The Summer Reading Program started today at our library. This year, not only did I not work on the committee that planned it for the year prior, I didn't even work at the library during the time when I'd find out much about how it was going to work, so I learned firsthand on the OTHER side of the desk with Fiona and Nora this afternoon at the Main Library. The program offerings look wonderful, the gifts are splendid, and my kids will go home with new books they get to choose for themselves! Yesssssssssssss!

This year, because Fiona is reading a little on her own, she is a trifle hung up on the idea that she has to do all the reading on her own (which she doesn't, but she could if she really wanted to I guess). No matter what, she is pumped about marking off each time we read for 20 minutes. And I haven't even BEGUN to explain to her yet that she can also read to feed homeless animals. We may do little else this summer.

I am working tomorrow for most of the day, so Grandma and Toot Toot came in this evening to help out. Already Grandma has read the first two chapters of The Secret Garden to Fiona from a Great Illustrated Classics book they brought for her. For her part, Nora is currently on a jag of enjoying multiple animated readings of Kate McMullan's I Stink!

If you are a kid or a teen or you have them under your roof, it's about time to check out what your local library has for you in terms of a summer reading program. Chances are, it's pretty cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home